Subject: Re: ARRGHH!!!!
To: Mark Benson <markbenson@mac.com>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2004 17:33:50
At 11:47 PM +0000 04.2.17, Mark Benson wrote:
>I got that message no UNIX user wants to see during the install. Upon
>untarballing 'misc.tgz' the installer suffered the old 'Segmentation
>Fault  - core dumped'.
>
>Do I start again? Will it do it again? Is it a known issue?

Hi,
Congraturation, you are baptized of NetBSD-1.6.1 :)

You have got good answers already, my procudere is (for an example);

1. install 3 binaries = kern-GENERIC.tgz, base.tgz and etc.tgz at first
2. complete sysinst method and reboot
3. boot NetBSD and login: root
4. mkdir 161
5. cd 161

6. ftp ftp.netbsd.org (or mirror site)  "ftp" is ready to use already
   cd pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/mac68k/binary/sets
   get comp.tgz (and others which you need)
   bye

7. cd / (don't forget this)
8. pax -zrpe -f /root/161/comp.tgz
    pax -zrpe -f /root/161/man.tgz
    pax -zrpe -f /root/161/xserver.tgz
9. reboot

Very simple and easy, isn't it? I've done this method more than
100 times (maybe) with no error.

If you don't like to do by 'hand', boot sysinst again and select;
c: Re-install sets or install additional sets
and then;
b: Custum installation (for comp.tgz and others including x*.tgz.
sysinst doesn't say 'Segmentation Fault  - core dumped' anymore)
is a good way, of course.

Thanks,
Kazu Inanaga