Subject: Re: Color X on Quadra 700
To: Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Benson <markbenson@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/2004 07:56:32
On Feb 14, 2004, at 05:05 pm, Jon wrote:

> Sadly it's worse than that.
> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112180 says it only goes
> to 832x624x24bit.  The Q700 does not support 16-bit video modes at all.
>
> If it is left at 8-bit it can reach 1152x870.

This is likely a hardware restriction in the video controller, perhaps
a poor RAMDAC or some such (I'm not a massive expert on graphics
controllers) as I have a Quadra 840av (which has very nice video
hardware :-) ) and it will run right up to 1152x870@16-bit on 2MB of
VRAM. You can't use the video system in anything but black & white at
that resolution however! The majority of Mac II and Quadra machines
were designed to be used with high-end NuBus video cards. If anyone has
ever used a Radius Thunder IV GX they know what I mean ;-)

Not totally relevant to mac68k NetBSD I felt I had to make a
contribution somewhere ;-)

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
MSN - mark.benson@hot-toast.com
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.68kmac.com>

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
				-The Matrix