Subject: Re: more partitions
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2004 09:22:41
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:15:31PM +0900, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:
> I'm trying to make 16 partitions for IDE drive on 1.6.1, but no luck.
>
> Only I know is;
> /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/files.mac68k

There are actually a couple of other places where it needs to be
adjusted.  Off-hand, I'm not sure why it doesn't work for md0 and
wd0, though.

You'll also need to change MAXPARTITIONS in include/disklabel.h,
and I'm not sure what else, if anything.  But this is built into
several userland utilities and MAKEDEV.  The MacOS installer will
certainly not do the right thing if you choose to change this.

There is actually not usually much reason to partition even
large drives very much.  NetBSD will deal with large partitions
well and having different partitions does not really make your
data any safer, I think.  It might slow things down a little
bit to have things on different partitions if you would be
accessing different partitions at the same time.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/