Subject: Re: quadra 700 boot probelms
To: Jeremy Venaas <prince_germ@yahoo.com>
From: Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2004 16:24:04
Hi,

I end up doing a lot of installs from scratch to test my lc040
builds and here's how I do it.  This is all from memory so
I might have missed a step, sorry.  This assumes 1.6 or later
btw.  1.5.3 had a kernel in a different format.

Get the 7.5 network boot disk from apple.  Make a floppy
from that image and test it.  You'll need this.  You can find
the URL in the mailing list archives.

If you have a working apple disk setup, run that and partition
your disk with a 10-20 meg or so hfs partition.  If not skip
this and the next 2 steps.

Boot from your network boot diskette and format your hard disk.

Copy the system folder from your boot diskette to your hard disk.

Reboot off of the hard disk.

Copy the most recent booter 2.0.0 and either netbsd-INSTALL.gz
or netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz to your hard disk.  I think I'm using
a7 in my case, but I can't look at my hfs partion right now.

Run the booter and under the booting menu you can chose
your kernel.  Choose the netbsd-INSTALLxxx.gz you just
copied.

Clover B to boot.

Follow the install instrutions that are on the screen.  I'm
almost 100% sure I choose the "use part of the disk" option
when asked and then you end up in a partition editor.

I create a root partition and a swap partition.  Your can
choose others if you want.  If you don't already have that 10-20meg hfs
partition create one, else don't touch the 20meg or so hfs partition
already
on your disk.

Finish the install.

Reboot the system.  It should boot MacOS no problem.  If it
doesn't then that's why you have the network boot disket
setting around.  Reformat your hfs partition and copy
the system folder back.   Reboot and copy booter 2.0.0 and
the install kernel back.  It's handy to have the install
kernel around for debugging when something goes wrong.

Run the booter, and clover B should boot.  If not check to make
sure that kernel name is netbsd.

With 1.6.1:
Don't use the installer program.  Use the install kernel.
Don't use the macos mkfs formatter.  I think this is where
you get the magic numbers don't match error.

With 1.6.1 use booter 2.0.  With 1.5.3 and earlier use
booter 1.11.  1.6.1 is elf and needs booter 2.0.  1.5.3 was a.out
and needs booter 1.11.  Mixing these the wrong way gives
you the problem with the booter not recognizing the kernel.

Can't help you with the hang, though, do you have apple talk
turned on?  I have appletalk turned on but I unplug the network
cable while booting.  Or, turn appletalk off.  If I don't do one of
these
it's a toss up as to whether or not I'll either hang or crash, with
a crash being more common.

Good luck!

cheers

bruce