Subject: Re: Asante MCiLC-10T Mac PDS Support?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Hazelton <davehazelton@access-4-free.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2004 09:04:59
Joey C wrote:

> From: Kazuyuki Inanaga [mailto:happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp]
>  Yes, I think so, but I can't guarantee it because I don't know anything
> about
> your Cable Modem. Is not there any chance to test 10Mbps HUB (or router)
> with your Asante MCiLC-10T before buying it?
>
> Unfortunately, I can't test a hub before I buy one.  There are some very
> cheap ones on eBay
> (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3077448410&category=
> 20386) that I could probably use even if it doesn't work on my computer.
>
> Someone said something about a crossover cable.  Sorry, I am new to
> networking... how does it work and is that more likely to solve my
> problem?
>
> Thanks,
> 111
> 010
> 110 OEY

A cross-over cable is a cable that connects either 2 PC's together or a
hub to a hub or a router.  A straight thru cable connects a PC to a hub.
I am not sure what a cable modem uses. if it acts like a HUB our a
router.  I have hooked them up before using the cable from the Modem
connected to a hub on the uplink ports, which are normally Cross-over,
but are switchable.  Some small hubs have the last port duplicated, one
as straight and one as cross-over.  I have a D-link that way.  Anyways,
by using this switchable uplink, If you cable is wrong for the port,
than switch the port and you don't get the link light, switch the Port
to the other configuration.  (either by a switch or move it to the
duplicated port a in my D-link.)

Anyways to put a hub in the middle you still need to buy one Patch
cable.  Do NOT buy a Cross-over, luckily Cross-overs are harder to find.
But any PC selling store should have Lan cable ... even Walmart.

~David Hazelton