Subject: New 1.6.1 install notes; also pkg_add problem with 1.6.1
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/2004 17:51:29
I installed 1.6.1 on a Quadra 700 yesterday- quite an ordeal due to the
Installer bug (1.1h) with what are now "small" hard drives larger than
1 GB but smaller than 10GB.  This is the "Error on SCSIRead(), #5"
problem, occurring in this case on a 4.3GB IBM drive.  Maximizing the
memory to the Installer made no difference.  Fortunately the Installer
would write the kernel into the root partition and enough of the
base.tgz and etc.tgz files to boot into single user mode and finish if
from there.

On boot I get "warning: no /dev/console" and then "mfs /dev" or
something like that; boot seems to hang for about 2 or 3 minutes at
this point and then proceeds.  Building devices with the Installer or
from within /dev doesn't fix this.  It also hung once on boot at "adb0"
but that hasn't been repeated.

But it works and that's the main thing!  I used 1.4.2 on a IIci, 145B
and this Quadra several years ago; from what I've seen so far, 1.6.1
seems to be improved.  Seems faster, seems to handle DSL traffic over
the sn0 better.  Very nice work and renders an obsolete machine useful
again!

I am having a problem installing software to make it actually useful,
though.  I want to install apache, Emacs, a browser and a few other
applications.  Some of that might reasonably be a part of the standard
distribution someday.  pkg_add fails as documented below; there was
also a problem I was able to solve; the documentation says to do:

"% PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/Packages/1.6.1/mack68k/All
% export PKG_PATH"

with the results that there is "no such command."

"setenv
PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6.1/mac68k/All"
worked temporarily.

Also, I found that the URL in the documentation is not quite correct in
that ".../Packages/..." should be ".../packages...".

Now, I can ftp to the directory and download packages manually, but I
cannot do so with pkg_add.  For example:

# pkg_add -v emacs

parsing ftp://(correct URL with "=" appended)
path: (correct URL, with "=" appended)
increasing RLIMIT_NOFILE to max 956 open files
trying PKG_PATH (correct URL with "=" appended)
spawning FTP coprocess
ftp -detv (correct URL with "=/" appended)
ftp: connect to address 2001:4f8:4:7:2e0:81ff:fe21:6563: No route to
host
pkg_add: expect1 failed, rc=0
pkg_add: ftp-start failed
Reusing FDs 4/5 for communication with FTP coprocess

ftp> nlist emacs.tbz /var/tmp/pkg.02731a
SIGPIPE!
pkg_add: short write: Broken pipe
pkg_add: nlist failed!
Reusing FDs 4/5 for communication with FTP coprocess

ftp> nlist emacs.tbz /var/tmp/pkg.02731b
SIGPIPE!
pkg_add: short write: Broken pipe
pkg_add: nlist failed!
Reusing FDs 4/5 for communication with FTP coprocess

ftp> nlist emacs.tbz /var/tmp/pkg.02731c
SIGPIPE!
pkg_add: short write: Broken pipe
pkg_add: nlist failed!
pkg_add: no pkg found for `emacs`, sorry
pkg_add: i package(s) failed

Any advice on what I have got miscued in my setup would be appreciated.
  I don't know what address 2001:4f8:4:7:2e0:81ff:fe21:6563 is, it has
nothing to do with any of my machines as far as I can tell.  Is the
broken pipe an internal problem on my box?

Thanks for any pointers!