Subject: Re: Booting without MacOS: We have WOOHOO!
To: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
From: Michael R.Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/2003 10:13:01
On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 10:29  PM, Nyef wrote:

> If we want this working with other RAM sizes, we need to change the RAM
> size paramter not to be hardcoded (and may need to write a RAM size
> detector for 32-bit dirty systems).

Doesn't the ROM dump the RAM size into a low-mem global or does it only
give you up to a certain size?

> If we want this working on any other macs at all, we need to figure out
> how to get the MACHINEID values. The Gestalt manager is obviously not
> loaded at this point, so I'm at a loss here.

I'm not sure about the SE/30 but I think most machines have a
pseudo-NuBus ROM at the end of the ROM space that describes the
machine. At least, some of the machines do.

I also seem to recall there was an older ROM-based API that identified
a machine as Plus, SE, SE/30, Mac II, or "Other". Perhaps the code can
check for the pseudo-NuBus ROM if it gets "Other".

> If we want this working on other II-series macs, we need to change the
> video information to not be hardcoded (it's hardcoded for an SE/30
> right
> now).

I think you can get some of this info from low-mem globals or ROM calls.

> No work has been done towards making a system boot from a hard drive.

In theory, shouldn't it be possible to put this image into a fake HFS
partition?

This is very cool!

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald