Subject: Re: IIsi Ethernet
To: Paul Lieberman <lieb@sou.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/09/2003 18:20:31
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Paul Lieberman wrote:

> I just dug my old Mac IIsi out of the closet in hopes of getting NetBSD
> running on it. Install went fine. Boot messages show sn0 as a DaynaPORT
> E/si and correctly show the MAC address. Any attempt to ifconfig the
> interface resutls in a complete hang requiring a power cycle. I tried it
> with /etc/ifconfig.sn0 as well as a manual
> ifconfig sn0 inet 192.168.1.9 netmask 255.255.255.0
> same results. By the way the network works fine from MacOS.
> What to do?

Try a different card? I have two interfaces in my Quadra 630, an
Asante in the communication slot (sm0), and a Sonic based adapter
in the PDS slot (sn0), both bought on EBay. I think sm0 used to work
under NetBSD, but lately it either doesn't work, or hangs the system,
so I just use the other one.

You say it correctly shows the MAC address, but interestingly, mine
shows '00:00:94:0a:51:b6' when in Mac OS, as viewed in the syslog on
the DHCP server, but '00:00:29:50:8a:6d' when booting into NetBSD,
which also matches the result of "ifconfig" on the Mac. See the
pattern? That's not the problem, though, as that card works fine.

Frederick