Subject: SE/30 upgrading
To: 'port-mac68k@netbsd.org' <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/2003 08:56:33
>I have just recieved an SE/30 I bought off ebay for
>nefarious purposes.  I also have in my posession, a mac
>SE, with a Daystar Powercache 68030-50, no fpu installed.
>Can I yank that off the SE adapter, and install it
>direct into the pds slot on my SE/30,

Never install any accelerator directly into the SE/30 PDS, unless you have original documentation that says otherwise.
They require adapters.

I recently acquired a IIsi with a 50 MHz DiiMO card, which I wanted to put in my SE/30.
It also came with an adapter with a PDS pass-thru slot and an accelerator slot.
The very fact that they are labeled that way made me cautious.
(Note: the much more rare SE/30-specific model of this accelerator has a PDS pass-thru built in, and a different style adapter or adapting electronics built in.)
After scouring the 'net and some personal emails with Gamba (who has done a lot of work tricking out SE/30's) it appears this is common to at least the IIsi and SE/30 with their odd PDS.

Fortunately the NIC/accelerator combo can be done in the SE/30 without soldering or alterations to the frame.
With plenty of RAM and a big disk it can still be a sweet little server.

>and will my onboard FPU still function or will the
>powercache try to take over for it and leave me fpu less?

Yes, you'll be FPU-less.
The accelerator card takes over all processing functions.

Tim

--
Tim Larson     <><   <><   <><   <><   <><     OL 4-131-2
Info. Services - Internal Medicine Clinical Systems, Mayo Clinic, Rochester