Subject: Re: Custom Kernel doesn't want to boot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/2003 16:52:50
>Related to your second question, I haved the same doubt when I switch a
>100MB disk with a SCSI2 Seagate 4 GB. In scsi world, disk capacity is
>not a BIOS problem (like bios PC IDE). Every SCSI disk has its drivers
>or something like that.

Actually, that's not quite true, there are hard limitations even with SCSI.

For instance, my PowerBook 3400c's SCSI disk mode will not work
correctly with disks greater than 4GB. While technically this would
be an IDE->SCSI translation issue, the IDE portion works fine with
any sized disk (i.e. you can boot and use large disks, just not use
them in SCSI disk mode). I have a 12GB drive with 3 partitions (os9,
osx, netbsd) in it which works fine in all OSes.

Also, most Macs relevant to this list have a boot limitation that
makes it necessary to have the boot partition be within the first 8GB
of the drive. That limitation wasn't removed until the later Beige
G3s (sometimes you can an earlier Mac to magically boot, you'd rather
not count on that luck).

HTH
Mike
--