Subject: Re: Custom Kernel doesn't want to boot
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/25/2003 21:35:52
On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:25:45AM -0400, Joshua Coombs wrote:
> > Have you disabled DDB? The mac68k booter requires this option in
> order
> > to boot. I heve wondered for several months why custom kernels
> would
> > not boot while self-built GENERIC kernels did work, until the kind
> > people on this mailing list told me the in-kernel debugger was
> really
> > necesscary :-)
> >
> > I hope this information can help you. I wish you good luck anyway.
> >
> > --
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Reinier Jonker
>
> That did it, wonder what the debugger is needed for in the boot
> proccess?  In any case, a nice, minimal kernel, built -O2 -m68030,
> and my scsi throughput dropped from 750kb/sec to 500kb/sec,
> consistantly... d-oh!
>
> Joshua Coombs

Hi Joshua,

I have the same problem with the same mac and kernel optimizations. I
will configure kernel again with ddb enabled. This time I will optimize
it only with -m68030 without -O2 because I don't trust very much O2
optimization.

Related to your second question, I haved the same doubt when I switch a
100MB disk with a SCSI2 Seagate 4 GB. In scsi world, disk capacity is
not a BIOS problem (like bios PC IDE). Every SCSI disk has its drivers
or something like that.

Bye,

		Nuno Teixeira

--