Subject: Re: localtalk ...
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/2003 22:58:21
on 7/16/03 9:10 PM, Henry B. Hotz at hotz@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:

>> This is what I'm interested in doing.
>> The 4/600 only has the one data port though.
>> If I can speak serial instead of LocalTalk over this port, without
>> an adapter, that would be perfect.
>> I didn't think this would be possible, but as I've mentioned, this
>> isn't my area of expertise.
>
> Most (all?) LaserWriter's will speak serial instead of LocalTalk if
> you connect a serial cable instead of a LocalTalk dongle to them.
> There may be issues with configuring the serial port, of course.
> Also the serial port may not actually support all the config options
> it claims to have.  I've never done it myself, but if you can find
> out what the default config is that should work.

tehre were some LocalTalk->EtherTalk adapters for printers, you have another
option thouhg.
If you have a Mac with MacOS and a serial+ethernet port free, Apple used to
distribute a "LocalTalk" Bridge, that is you can use that Mac to bridge
between the two hardware layers while maintaining the AppleTalk zone. It
works nicely.

-Ric