Subject: RE: localtalk ...
To: 'port-mac68k@netbsd.org' <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/2003 13:23:42
Alright, now I'm beginning to make some sense out of this.
My area of expertise is a bit higher than communication protocols, so please forgive my excessive ignorance.
:)

So you are saying that I can communicate to the 4/600 from my NetBSD Mac via the RS422 port, but only as a "regular serial device" not a "LocalTalk device", correct?
This should be in the FAQ.
It is very confusing, since all the searching I did found references to needing hardware bridges to accomplish this.
If all I have to do is set it up as a serial printer, that's a lot easier.
Saying "LocalTalk is not supported" makes relative newbies like me think that we need to replace our LocalTalk printers.
I didn't know it could work just fine functioning as a serial device.

Thanks again,
Tim
--
Tim Larson     <><   <><   <><   <><   <><     OL 4-131-2
Info. Services - Internal Medicine Clinical Systems, Mayo Clinic, Rochester