Subject: RE: localtalk ...
To: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/2003 11:06:24
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:

> Yes? >Use netatalk. It's in pkgsrc.

Use netatalk instead of CAP.

> No?  >Connecting LocalTalk devices to NetBSD machines is unsupported.
> Yes? >you could hook the LW up directly & have the mac export it. THough serial
>      >might be a bit slow.

No. Serial != Localtalk. It is my recolection that these devices supported
more than just LocalTalk. The one we had a parallel port and an RS-232
serial port.

> You've lost me now.
> Can I or can't I print to a LocalTalk-only printer from my NetBSD Mac?
>
> Maybe I'm just getting lost in all the terminology.
> As I understand, AppleTalk is the protocol.
> LocalTalk is just AppleTalk when transmitted over a RS422 serial line.

Not quite. LocalTalk uses a different form of framing than normal serial
communications; it uses HDLC. It is Appletalk over serial lines, but it
isn't normal serial.

> (EtherTalk is AppleTalk transmitted over ethernet, but we needn't worry about that now.)
> Right?
>

> Suggesting I use netatalk, and hooking up the LW directly, seems to be
> saying that it will work.

No, that was saying use netatalk not CAP. Also, as above (assuming I
remember right), you can use it as a serial printer. Not a localtalk
printer.

> But then there's that bald statement "LocalTalk with NetBSD is
> unsupported" again.
> Which is it?

Take care,

Bill