Subject: RE: localtalk ...
To: 'port-mac68k@netbsd.org' <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/2003 12:31:47
Yes? >Use netatalk. It's in pkgsrc.
No?  >Connecting LocalTalk devices to NetBSD machines is unsupported.
Yes? >you could hook the LW up directly & have the mac export it. THough serial
     >might be a bit slow.

You've lost me now.
Can I or can't I print to a LocalTalk-only printer from my NetBSD Mac?

Maybe I'm just getting lost in all the terminology.
As I understand, AppleTalk is the protocol.
LocalTalk is just AppleTalk when transmitted over a RS422 serial line.
(EtherTalk is AppleTalk transmitted over ethernet, but we needn't worry about that now.)
Right?

Suggesting I use netatalk, and hooking up the LW directly, seems to be saying that it will work.
But then there's that bald statement "LocalTalk with NetBSD is unsupported" again.
Which is it?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Larson     <><   <><   <><   <><   <><     OL 4-131-2
Info. Services - Internal Medicine Clinical Systems, Mayo Clinic, Rochester