Subject: Re: Hardware acumulation
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/2003 15:07:21
> I have just been gifted a Mac SE as parts for a custom rackmount project.
> (My end goal is to build a rackmount SE/30 to go along with my rackmount
> 386.)  To my surprise, the machine contains a Daystar Powercache 68030-33,
> sans FPU.  From my reading, it would appear that the card itself is
> 'universal' and only the adapter in the mac itself changes.  Are there any
> good sources of the SE/30 adapters floating loose?  I also saw some
> traffic on the list from 2002 saying the adapters do infact work with
> NetBSD, with a patch... anyone know if thats still true?

If the onboard cache is disabled (performance hit here), the card will work
without any modifications at all.

To gain the onboard cache, yes, a patch is required. I ran a IIci in this
configuration with appropriately patched kernel as far back as 1.4.2.

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * ckaiser@floodgap.com
-- Nothing recedes like success. -- Walter Winchell ---------------------------