Subject: Hardware acumulation
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/2003 17:53:36
I have just been gifted a Mac SE as parts for a custom rackmount project.
(My end goal is to build a rackmount SE/30 to go along with my rackmount
386.)  To my surprise, the machine contains a Daystar Powercache 68030-33,
sans FPU.  From my reading, it would appear that the card itself is
'universal' and only the adapter in the mac itself changes.  Are there any
good sources of the SE/30 adapters floating loose?  I also saw some
traffic on the list from 2002 saying the adapters do infact work with
NetBSD, with a patch... anyone know if thats still true?

Will the classic run NetBSD if I leave the adapter in, stuff some ram in
it (There is a 72pin socket on the daystar adapter, but no markings.  I'm
assuming it's ram, just dunno if it's edo, fastpage, etc.) and slap an FPU
on the powercache module?  If so I may base my box around it, twice the
core cpu speed should make a noticable perf boost running MySQL.

Joshua Coombs