Subject: Re: Basilisk][ booting
To: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/2003 17:41:49
Hi,

> The interpretation of the UAE name was changed a looong time ago (about 6
> years IIRC) to the "Ubiqutious Amiga Emulator" (or however that is
> spelled...), but it is just called "the UAE Amiga Emulator" these days...

Yes, I kinda remember something about that...

> >                                        UAE attempts to emulate all of
> > the Amiga hardware, and people have even gotten GNU/Linux-m68k running
> > on it, so I think it'd probably run NetBSD without too many problems.
>
> UAE does not emulate the MMU, so you cannot run NetBSD on it.

There are versions which emulate the MMU. Or patches. Go here:
http://www.freiburg.linux.de/~uae/
and scroll down to the "Patches for UAE & New Stuff" section. There's a
link for "Wez Furlong's MMU patch to run Linux on UAE"

I suppose whichever of us is most interested in pursuing this should email
Wez Furlong and ask if patches are available for the latest version of UAE
and whether he has any recommendations / suggestions / experience trying
to run NetBSD.

Also, whoever does get this running might also make a little HOW-TO and a
bootable NetBSD disk image. While this, of course, cannot contain ROM
images, it can be freely distributed to make setting up m68k NetBSD
emulated systems really easy. I'll even offer to host those files.

Keep us updated,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs