Subject: Re: Basilisk][ booting
To: NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/2003 12:57:28
Hi,

> > >I am playing around a bit with Basilisk][ hoping I can leverage brute force
> > >emulation on a big intel box to speed up builds of netbsd for my LC575.  I

> > I'm wondering if this is a ROM image issue. IIRC, Basilisk needs you to
> > make a ROM image from a working Mac. I think they recommend a Mac Plus

> If that's the case, there is a tweak. There's an item in the Booter to
> set the "Machine ID" to an arbitrary value. You can get the numbers to
> try in that box from ".../sys/arch/mac68k/include/cpu.h"

To clarify a few things: First, Basilisk won't emulate a 68020 if you're
running a Mac Plus ROM. It'd crash while booting. So, first, make sure
your ROM file is 256k, 512k, or 1 meg.

Next, Basilisk is basically an environment handler wrapped around a CPU
emulator. I don't know if you've heard of ShapeShifter, but it is the
predecessor of Basilisk; it allowed one to run a MacOS environment as a
separate task under AmigaOS. Basilisk is similar to ShapeShifter in that
it basically emulates devices, not hardware, under MacOS, and translates
the I/O calls to the underlying OS. So the network, keyboard & mouse, and
disk I/O is all done through MacOS compatible translation code which calls
Unix or AmigaOS OS calls.

This basically means that NetBSD cannot be run unless it is taught to run
as MacOS does - that is, to use the ROMs and MacOS compatible software
device drivers to do all of the I/O instead of trying to talk directly to
the hardware.

I've already spent time thinking about this and researching this,
especially as I have some pretty fast systems sitting idle, and it seems
that the most likely way to get an emulated m68k system to run NetBSD is
to use UAE (unusable Amiga emulator). UAE attempts to emulate all of the
Amiga hardware, and people have even gotten GNU/Linux-m68k running on it,
so I think it'd probably run NetBSD without too many problems.

I hope this helps!

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs