Subject: Re: (Broken) LC040 & alternative distribution
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/2003 15:21:39
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Allen Briggs wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:22:49PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	Ideally the mechanism should be extendable to other architectures
> > 	so if someone did the MD work they should be able to build an
> > 	i386-nofp distribution :)
>
> Agreed.  PowerPC can benefit from this, actually, since some of the
> (less "desktopy") variants lack an FPU.  I don't think PPC and m68k
> are alone here, either.
>
> -allen

All PowerPC processors used in Macs and PPC workstations have FPUs, it is
the Altivec (aka Velocity Engine) unit which is not always present, and
it's a SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) unit that handles
vector-like instructions, not an FPU.  So an FPU-less compile for PowerPC
wouldn't benefit anyone I can think of.

--
Nathan Raymond