Subject: Re: (Broken) LC040 & alternative distribution
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/2003 15:27:39
Hi,

> > 	Would a good first step be to see if Bruce would be interested
> > 	in updating his MKSOFTFLOAT changes to current and look at
> > 	integrating them?
>
> Yes.  I think that would be an excellent place to start.

I've been in touch with Bruce about this; I have a nice 1U 60 MHz 68060
system with fast disks and lots of memory which I've offered up for
development. As soon as I can find a place to colocate it, I want to get
Bruce a chroot or two in there to get soft float stuff working in current
and release and then get the changes committed. I'll even use that machine
to build soft float binary packages.

> Agreed.  PowerPC can benefit from this, actually, since some of the
> (less "desktopy") variants lack an FPU.  I don't think PPC and m68k
> are alone here, either.

Then help would be welcome if we're also going to be playing in MI parts
of the source tree. Maybe it's time to ask ISC again if they'll give this
machine a home...

Anyone who would like to help: please email me so we can set up accounts
on this machine.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs