Subject: Re: (Broken) LC040 & alternative distribution
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/2003 15:25:15
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:21:39PM -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> All PowerPC processors used in Macs and PPC workstations have FPUs, it is
> the Altivec (aka Velocity Engine) unit which is not always present

Yes.  I'm referring to some of the parts supported by evbppc.  The
IBM 40x-series and 44x-series don't have FPUs, nor do most (all?)
of the Motorola PowerQUICC and PowerQUICC II parts.  While they're
not used/seen as often as the desktop PPC chips, there are NetBSD
systems that use them.  Actually, the OpenblockS and OpenblockSS
in Japan use these (one uses the mpc860 and the other uses the
ibm405gp, I think).

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/