Subject: Re: (Broken) LC040 & alternative distribution
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/2003 19:14:42
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Joshua Coombs wrote:

> > 	d) Provide an complete alternative m68k-softfloat distribution.
> > 	   Bruce O'Neel has done this - would it make sense to pull this
> > 	   into the main tree and produce an an alternate distribution
> > 	   with the standard NetBSD release? As a bonus non-broken LC040
> > 	   and LC060 users would be able to use this for a small performance
> > 	   gain. The question would be whether to compile it
> > 	   '-m68040-60 -soft-float' or just '-soft-float' :)
>
> Non-broken?  My understanding is the LC040 is an 040 lacking an FPU.  There
> is further cripling/breakage on some of them?

	Certain revisions of the LC040 have a hardware bug that IIRC
	causes the conents of the some registers to be garbled upon an
	FPU trap - this makes it impossible to handle FPU code on such
	a CPU (unless you start emulating all instructions or something
	equally elaborate/deranged)

	They would require an m68k-nofpu distribution. The others LC040s
	would just benefit from one :)

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --