Subject: Re: Pthreads
To: Sheldon Simms <sheldonsimms@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/2003 18:00:00
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Sheldon Simms wrote:

> I'm wondering what's the best way to get pthreads on my system.
> I saw that there's a mit-pthreads package for 1.5 but I'm running
> 1.6.1. Might that package work anyway?

Your best bet is to build a package with latest pkgsrc. I
committed some patches last April to make it build on mac68k
current-at-the-time, which was just a little past 1.6, so it's very
likely that it will build on 1.6.1, also "unproven-pthreads", which
is a little more up-to-date, and more popular. GNU "pth" is another
possibility.

> I also saw that pthreads will apparently be implemented as
> kernel threads in some future NetBSD release (2.0?). Would it
> be foolish to switch from 1.6.1 to a current snapshot in order
> to get pthread functionality?

Not necessarily -- 1.6U/mac68k seems to run fine for me, but then
I'm not running anything that actually launches separate threads.

Frederick