Subject: Re: Performa 550
To: Gary Montcalm <garym@shreve.net>
From: Steve Byan <stevebyan@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/27/2003 13:12:34
On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 12:34  PM, Gary Montcalm wrote:

> I realized after I posted that my last question was misleading--I
> actually have no idea what the "ultimate" 68k Mac would be. I'm
> guessing one of the Quadras, but LowEndMac has some negative comments
> about the case design of the later models. I would love to have a
> minitower that I could run headless and use telnet to talk to, but I
> don't know what to look for on eBay.

It's not a minitower (it's a full-sized tower), but I'm partial to the
Quadra 950 I hauled home from the computer-recycling boneyard at the
town dump. Video's not supported, so you have to run headless, but
works like a champ except for the woeful disk performance of NetBSD on
the 68K Macs. Too bad, because for a Mac the Q950 has pretty good SCSI
hardware, a hefty power supply, and room for five internal disks plus
CD-ROM and floppy.

BTW, does the Q950 SCSI hardware fall under the Quadra-AV SCSI DMA
umbrella, or is a different driver required for it? If it is a
different SCSI driver, is anyone working on one?

Regards,
-Steve
--------
Steve Byan <smb@theworld.com> or <smb@world.std.com>