Subject: Performa 550
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Montcalm <garym@shreve.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/2003 15:41:49
Hello--

I traded my PowerMac 5400 to a friend for her Performa 550 so I could
run NetBSD without the agony of the Open Firmware boot. (Apparently
somebody can make that work, but it's beyond me.) Anyway, I have to
congratulate you guys on how well the Booter app works! That has got to
be one of the most painless installs of NetBSD I've ever experienced...

I'm planning on running Apache on this little box. Everything seems to
be going pretty well so far, so I've only got one question, of personal
curiosity: How does NetBSD run so fast on such an old machine? I used
to run NetBSD-i386 (v. 1.5.2) at the office on an old 486/33 box, and
it was pig-slow, taking 10-15 minutes just to boot. It took a solid 24
hours just to compile Samba! (We replaced that computer with a Beige
G3--I got lazy and installed Jaguar on it.) This little Mac has the
same clock speed, and only 12 MB of RAM, but I'm to the login prompt in
less than two minutes! My friend told me she had it upgraded, but she
can't remember the particulars. LowEndMac tells of a Sonnet upgrade
that changed the 68030 processor to a 68040, but at the same clock
speed. Is the Motorola processor that much better than the Intel? (No,
I'm not trolling, it's just a pretty remarkable difference to me.) The
Performa, by the way, is running MacBSD v. 1.5.2.

Any thoughts on the ultimate NetBSD-Mac68K machine?

Gary Montcalm