Subject: Installation, IDE and 68LC040
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Terence Tan <terence@calroth.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/2003 19:36:12
--Apple-Mail-1-139560928

Hello,

Yesterday, I spontaneously decided to install NetBSD on my Performa 630
(actually a 580 motherboard in a 6200 case, but who's counting...),
using Bruce Oneel's LC040 distribution.

Alas, couldn't use good ol' mkfs and the installer, because the
internal drive is IDE.

Alas, couldn't use sysinst, because of the well-documented "uid0 comm
newfs on: file system full" bug that comes from FPU emulation.

So I transplanted the IDE hard drive to a PowerMac, did it with Drive
Setup from my Mac OS 9 CD, booted the NetBSD macppc install kernel, and
ran newfs from there. I guess I could have unpacked the sets whilst I
was at it, but I felt compelled to put the hard drive back in the 630
and unpack there.

Then, http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2001/12/03/0004.html

Interesting questions: can sysinst on the macppc installer install
mac68k sets? The partitioning scheme on macppc looked a bit different
from what mac68k used. I did investigate newfs on Mac OS X, but it
looks like it creates 4.3BSD filesystems as opposed to 4.2BSD (not sure
what the difference is, but not willing to gamble my hard drive to it).

Anyway, things to think about.

  -Terence

--Apple-Mail-1-139560928
	name=PGP.sig