Subject: Re: incomplete base install
To: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
From: Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/2003 00:45:29
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Mark E. Perkins wrote:

> --On Friday, June 6, 2003 08:02 -0500 Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
> > The base set does not completely install on my SE/30.
> > I get as far as /usr/local/man/cat2 (about 3/4 done?) before getting a
> > SCSIRead() #5 error.   When I try to boot NetBSD, some essential things
> > are missing, but I can get into single-user mode if I ctrl-c past the
> > terminal type question.   I find I can't edit anything because my
> > terminal type is then unknown, though.   (It won't recognize anything I
> > put in.)
> > Is there a way to finish installing the base set in this condition?
>
> Check the list archives and/or the Installer docs on this. As I recall, the
> solution is to up the resource allocations (via Get Info) for the Installer.

That's one possibility.  Another one is that the Installer is just broken.
The SCSIRead() error has (or used to have) an entry in the FAQ.  There may
be some information there that is helpful to you.  Also there have been
several versions of the installer released over the years; be sure you
have the most recent one.

But if you have got to the point where you can boot the system in single
user mode and get a shell prompt, just use that system to complete the
install.

Instead of ^C at the terminal prompt, just press enter (or enter vt100).
You should be able to use vi after that.

Just mount all your filesystems and untar all the sets again using the
kernel you booted into single user mode.  Then edit rc.conf (and anything
else you need like fstab, resolv.conf, etc) and reboot.
--
Tod McQuillin