Subject: Re: incomplete base install
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Olof Hennig <olof@hennig.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/2003 19:51:27
fredagen den 6 juni 2003 kl 15.02 skrev Larson, Timothy E.:

> Hello,
>
> The base set does not completely install on my SE/30.
> I get as far as /usr/local/man/cat2 (about 3/4 done?) before getting a
> SCSIRead() #5 error.
> When I try to boot NetBSD, some essential things are missing, but I
> can get into single-user mode if I ctrl-c past the terminal type
> question.
> I find I can't edit anything because my terminal type is then unknown,
> though.
> (It won't recognize anything I put in.)
> Is there a way to finish installing the base set in this condition?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

How big is your HD?
If it's bigger than 1 GB you could try to repartition it and make sure
that there's not a partition bigger than 1 GB on the first part of the
disk. Perhaps something like this:

1. MacOS, 50 MB
2. Swap, 100 MB
3. Root, 950 MB
4. usr, rest of the HD

Change it according to your prefs, but keep the first partitions bigger
than 1GB as a total, but each partition smaller than 1 GB.
Weird sollution that helped me when I had the same problem. You could
find a better explanation if you search the faq.

olof