Subject: Re: why we need MacOS to boot NetBSD? (FAQ)
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/2003 12:12:18
At 1:03 PM -0500 3/21/03, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 05:53:45PM -0800, Space Case wrote:
>>  On Mar 20,  3:28am, Rafael Diniz wrote:
>>  >Why Apple doesn't open the MacOS 7.x source code?
>>  >Has anyone sent an email to Apple?
>>
>>  Probably something along these lines:
>>    http://developer.apple.com/darwin/news/qa20011004.html#Source
>
>By which Apple means "our bean counters say we *might* still be able
>to make money off of that code, so you can't have it".

This question was seriously asked and received serious consideration
when A/UX was abandoned.  A major concern, as I recall, was the
distraction cost.  If they let the code out then it would generate
lots of questions which Apple would have to respond to.  That would
not only cost money directly, but would probably distract engineers
who ought to be concentrating on the next product to make money, not
the last one which wouldn't.

In the case of A/UX several of the engineers no longer worked for
Apple and would have been delighted to help out, but they couldn't.

I think 9 is not as dead as A/UX was.  I also think Apple is right
that releasing the code has real costs associated with it.  It has
real PR benefits as well, but they're probably minor compared to what
Darwin already provides.