Subject: Re: why we need MacOS to boot NetBSD? (FAQ)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/2003 13:03:48
--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 05:53:45PM -0800, Space Case wrote:
> On Mar 20,  3:28am, Rafael Diniz wrote:
> >Why Apple doesn't open the MacOS 7.x source code?
> >Has anyone sent an email to Apple?
>=20
> Probably something along these lines:
>   http://developer.apple.com/darwin/news/qa20011004.html#Source

By which Apple means "our bean counters say we *might* still be able
to make money off of that code, so you can't have it".

Not too likely with Mac OS 7.x (although they're probably still
collecting licensing fees for Mac OS non-X interface documentation
and such, which would be hard to keep doing with the source for even
a pre-9 version out there), but the Netwon stuff especially. (Why
haven't we seen Apple come and beat the Microsoft tablet PC thing
down? Not too clear...)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net