Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5.3 installation in Macintosh SE/30
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/20/2003 23:45:52
On 20.03.03, 16:11:47, Ken Johnson wrote:

> After I had prepared the system for installation, I began
> to look at the 1.6 install document to figure out what I
> would need.  The document describes the binary distribution
> sets -- a list of the files, their contents, and aproximate
> sizes.  When I viewed the the mac68k/binary/sets directory
> at one of the mirrors using Internet Explorer 5.5, I
> observed that some of the file sizes were very wrong;
> they were 10s of bytes instead of MBs.  I found this

Look more closely: The files you see are in fact symbolic links to the
appropriate files in the "shared" directory. The mac68k ports shares the
same CPU as, e. g. the Amiga, Atari, hp300, next68k and other ports, and
so most of the files are identical for these ports. If you download the
files, you will get the correct archives, several MB in size. Some files
(man.tgz and misc.tgz) are even identical for all platforms.

Maybe use a better browser to view ftp directories. A decent ftp client
should show that these files are in fact links, and not just "very short
files".

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - a devil of an operating system.
		-- Julian Assange