Subject: Re: why we need MacOS to boot NetBSD? (FAQ)
To: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/2003 15:27:11
At 9:42 PM +0000 3/19/03, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>Can anyone explain to me why we need it? Why it isn't possible to boot
>NetBSD "normaly" like a PC?

I don't think there is a real fundamental reason, but it makes an
awful lot of things a lot easier.  We only got the native sysinst
stuff working rather recently and (I think) the MacOS installation
tools were easier for people with Macs to use than what used to be
available.

There are lots of bugs in the ROM device drivers that booting all the
way to MacOS fixes.  We can let MacOS initialize the devices and just
write the code to use them after we do get going.  We didn't have or
need any disk partitioning utilities at all until very recently.

There *have* been people who have worked on making native booters of
one sort or another.  Some have gotten to the point of working under
some circumstances, but AFIK nothing beyond that.  I believe there
isn't enough benefit to motivate people.  Of course if you're
motivated I'm sure the list can provide pointers to what has been
done so before.