Subject: Re: why we need MacOS to boot NetBSD? (FAQ)
To: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/2003 17:33:24
Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> My first impression is that I don't need MacOS installed to run NetBSD
> but it seems that I will have to use it in order to booter works. It
> makes some confusion to me running NetBSD on top of MacOS.

NetBSD doesn't run "on top" of MacOS. MacOS is just used as a convenient
environment to run the booter in.

> Can anyone explain to me why we need it? Why it isn't possible to boot
> NetBSD "normaly" like a PC?

I would imagine it was the most expedient choice when the booter was
first written.

It should be possible to write a booter that runs right out of the boot
sector of a floppy or an HFS partition on a hard disk. In fact, if you
search the mailing list archives you'll see that somebody was actually
working on this and made some reasonable progress. However, writing such
a boot loader is a non-trivial activity because there is little
documentation on how to write bootable software to the Mac ROMs.

So basically, it seems to be ust a matter of "somebody hasn't gotten
around to it yet". :-)

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald