Subject: Re: Performa 460
To: Mihai CHELARU <kefren@netbsd.ro>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/2003 10:58:19
At 1:06 PM +0200 3/15/03, Mihai CHELARU wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have an old performa 460 here with the standard configuration (68030,
>8MB RAM, 100MB HDD, no FPU, MACOS 7.3).

That MacOS must be 7.1P3 or 7.5.3, since there was never a 7.3 :-)

>  I tried to boot a kernel on it
>but no luck. Sooner or later during booting, I have a panic. Now I'm
>prepared to do some debugging but I need some advices.
>
>	- How/where do I attach a serial console ? All I have here is a printer
>port ( Well, I can fit an DB25 jack so I think I should play with this
>).

OOh, don't touch that! That's a SCSI port. (symbol diamond with a line in it)

>  Also, I have a modem port and another one (don't know for sure what
>it is) with the same type of jack (unknown to me, looks like a ps/2 but
>it isn't).

The ports with the phone and the printer icons are round 8-pin ports.
Those are your two serial ports. The one with a funny symbol with a
line that has 3 nodes coming off of it is the ADB port. It is very
similar to an Svideo port (4 pins and a block).

>	- Where do I find the pinouts for a console cable (I found a DB25 - DB9
>cable here but it doesn't work) ?

Get a Mac modem cable (that 8-pin round connector on one end, db25 on
the other), and a regular PeeCee modem cable (db9-db25) and hook them
both into a null modem (db25-db25 block).

Hope this helps,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.