Subject: Beta of new compiler for NetBSD/m68k
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/2003 22:35:31
Slowly, the m68k port of the current release version of the Free Pascal compiler
(FPC, www.freepascal.org) is starting to work. It compiles itself, and even
completes the more general tests of the testsuite.

So it is usable for interested people I think. If people want to beta test
it, drop me a mail at marcov at stack dot nl

The compiler is usable on 68030/50 (IIci+daystar) and 68040 (VME, IIci+ a
different daystar :-) systems. I haven't tried a 68030/25 yet.

32 MB is probably needed to recompile the compiler, but to compile average
programs 8 MB usable mem would be enough I think.

----

FPC is a 32-bit Pascal compiler, which started out x86 only, but is now
slowly adding new architectures. m68k is the first to start working, PPC and
Sparc are in development. On x86 is supports about the 10 most common OSes.

FPC follows the Borland dialects, the version we are talking about is BP7
compatible, and implements most of the Delphi 3 and 4 language features.

(
Delphi features typically not supported by the release (1.x) versions are
- dynamic arrays
- interfaces
- widestrings
- default parameters
- 64-bit constants
- variants
- small parser and directive changes typical for later Delphi versions

Other missing features in the release versions
- The register allocator is not optimal.
- PIC code is not supported, and creating dynamic libraries in FPC (not
using them) is generally not finished properly.
- 64-bits behaviour is somewhat patchy.
- The NetBSD port is a (though fairly extensive and tested) hack on the Linux port.

Most of these are fixed or will be fixed (in the case of PIC,dynlibs) in the development
version which will become the 2.x series
)

Thank you for your interest.