Subject: Re: ssh performance on Mac SE/30
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/2003 23:45:15
At 13:25 Uhr -0500 14.3.2003, John Klos wrote:
>First, make sure these lines are in /etc/mk.conf
>M68030=YES
>COPTS+=-m68030
>CFLAGS+=-m68030
>COPTFLAGS+=-m68030

I got

COPTS =                 -m68030 -O2 -pipe
CFLAGS +=               -m68030
CXXFLAGS +=             -m68030

as the canonical solution from tech-kern. Setting COPTS with anything means
it is not set by the system makefiles, so you should put optimization
there, too-

>Then, rebuild sshd

...and the openssl libraries...

>(should take several hours; maybe do it overnight):
>cd usr.bin/ssh
>make USETOOLS=no cleandir dependall
>make USETOOLS=no install

>Add -1 in there, too; ssh(2) is too slow for anything slower than a 68060
>(it takes approximately 36 seconds on a 40 MHz 68040).

After a hint from Greg Woods, I found that building 1.5.4 with
LDFLAGS=-static gives a considerable boost. I haven't run benchmarks
before/after, but especially ssh performance is much more bearable
(la.causeuse.org - that's a IIsi @ 25 MHz).

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign