Subject: Re: ssh performance on Mac SE/30
To: Tom Jernigan <jernigantc@ornl.gov>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/2003 13:25:27
Hi,

> oops, make that John Klos. Here's the url for the instructions he
> gave for improving a 68040, but they won't help a 68030.
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2002/02/10/0000.html

That was for NetBSD 1.5; now that CVS is part of the base system, it's
easier to use that.

Here are similar instructions, but updated.

Get the source tree:

If you're using csh or tcsh, type this or put it in your .cshrc:
setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot

For sh or bash:
CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot; export CVSROOT

Then cd to where you have space (/usr, /home, whatever), log in, and fetch
the tree:
cvs login (password is anoncvs)
cvs checkout -P -rnetbsd-1-6 src

Later on, if you want to update your source tree, you can just do the cvs
login, then cd into the source tree (/usr/src or whatever), and type:
cvs update -P -d

Then you can either decide to rebuild the entire system, which would
likely take more than a week on an SE/30, or just ssh and related
programs. If you're doing the whole system, it'd be good to do a new
kernel first. There's another quick how-to for the kernel, if you need
that.

First, make sure these lines are in /etc/mk.conf
M68030=YES
COPTS+=-m68030
CFLAGS+=-m68030
COPTFLAGS+=-m68030

Then, rebuild sshd (should take several hours; maybe do it overnight):
cd usr.bin/ssh
make USETOOLS=no cleandir dependall
make USETOOLS=no install

> >>  If I try to ssh over, using "sh -vvv hostname" from my Linux box, the
> >>process stalls for roughly five minutes on:
> >>
> >>    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY

Add -1 in there, too; ssh(2) is too slow for anything slower than a 68060
(it takes approximately 36 seconds on a 40 MHz 68040).

> >>  Then it proceeds, but I wasn't able to ssh as root; even given the right
> >>password, it denied me. I didn't have time to try a regular user; it might
> >>be configured to deny remote root logins. The main question I have is, is
> >>the five-minute delay inevitable on an SE/30? It happens the same way
> >>ssh'ing *out* from the SE/30, too. Is there anything I can do to speed
> >>things up?

Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and add this line:
PermitRootLogin yes

> >>  If there's a better list for this, or an FM that I should R, please let
> >>me know. Thanks!

Well, one would think that another list would be more appropriate, but
it's less a problem of ssh and more a problem of the speed of our
machines. They're not going to get any faster...

Good luck,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs
--
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
                -- Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953