Subject: Re: Nubus 90
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/2003 08:55:35
> > I've a IIci with 68040, but saw a Quadra 800 for Eur 20, which I'm
> > interested in mainly because of the larger memory potential.
>
> A IIci can take up to 128 megs, but it's not easy to find the memory.
> Also, the memory on the Quadra is much faster, especially when it's
> interleaved.

Yes, which is pretty much why I want the Quadra. (Memory, and higher mobo
speed, and maybe clockchipping; the IIci is also 33 MHz 040).

I also have a feeling that 16 MB 30-pins simms are harder to find and much
more expensive on this side of the big pond.

> > I've two questions: - Lowend Mac says this machine has "Nubus 90" slots.
> > Are these backwards compatible with the avg Nubus card ? (like Faralon
> > Etherwave?) - Is there something about the memory? It seems that these
> > use quite mainstream 72-pins memory, and it should be easy to put 128 MB
> > in them.
>
> NuBus is NuBus on the Mac - any NuBus cards you find will work in either
> machine.
>
> Yes, you can easily have 136 megs of memory with four 32 meg SIMMs and the
> 8 meg built in.

I've 4 32 MB simms on the shelf, coming from a Compaq Proliant 1500.