Subject: Re: m68k soft float (was illegal instruction)
To: None <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2003 00:34:23
In article <Pine.NEB.4.53.0303050403030.21000@reva.sixgirls.org>
john@sixgirls.org wrote:

> > And if don't use -msoft-float by default, What do you think about
> > release engineering?
>
> I don't understand the question. Release engineering would deal with all
> of the regular m68k ports. If, at some point, we decide we want to
> autobuild m68k with soft float or have trees on the NetBSD server for soft
> float snapshots, that's another issue.

All m68k ports share most binaries on the release.
I don't like to use soft-float binaries on news68k
because all news68k machines have FPU.
No softfloat binaries are needed at all
since they makes slow machines slower.

If you really want soft-float binaries, we should provide both
hard-float and soft-float binaries and make soft-float ones optional.
For shared libraries we can use ld.so.conf(5) to switch shlibs
by sysctl value, but I don't have any idea for static binaries.

Anyway, implementing proper FPE is the real solution, I think.

> First, let's get the code committed and well tested. Then we can talk
> about how to deal with the rest. Yes?

No. You should ask all m68k port-maintainers first.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp