Subject: Re: m68k soft float (was illegal instruction)
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/2003 10:28:03
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.4.53.0303050403030.21000@reva.sixgirls.org>
> john@sixgirls.org wrote:
>
> > > And if don't use -msoft-float by default, What do you think about
> > > release engineering?
> >
> > I don't understand the question. Release engineering would deal with all
> > of the regular m68k ports. If, at some point, we decide we want to
> > autobuild m68k with soft float or have trees on the NetBSD server for soft
> > float snapshots, that's another issue.
>
> All m68k ports share most binaries on the release.
> I don't like to use soft-float binaries on news68k
> because all news68k machines have FPU.

From what I understand, John intends to post a -soft-float build
independently of release engineering. This is nice of him. Thanks,
John.

As for future releases, isn't sun2 userland built with -soft-float? If
so, it could serve with just a few additions. Then we could have just
the two sets of sets, one for m68000 (-m68000 + -msoft-float), and one
for m68k (-m68020 or -m68020-40 or -m68020-60).

Frederick