Subject: m68k soft float (was illegal instruction)
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <sibagaki@lsi.melco.co.jp>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/2003 03:20:13
> John> Soon I hope to try to overhaul some of the FPU code to integrate real
> John> -soft-float support, compliments of Bruce O'Neel, so we can finally have a
> John> good, free Unix on LC040 machines (yay!)
>
> I also implemented with myself method like Bruce-san's method since
> old times.
> # PB190CS is working now (X too) with myself soft-float libraries.
>
> But I think this method is not a mainstream. built-in soft-float
> emulation is the mainstream in NetBSD's principle.
>
> A big issue is getting agree which allow changing userland
> library(libc, libm, and so on) in any other ports using
> m68k(ex. amiga, atari, x68k, etc). Maybe I guess not allow.
>
> If only mac68k port uses soft-float libraries, it is a problem of
> compatibility between other m68k ports.
>
> What do you think about?

Well, Bruce's patches are for m68k libc, so the platform wouldn't matter.
I want to get the patches into -current, get everything working well and
tested, then commit them to -current.

I'd also like to get them working under -release and make binary snapshots
of 1.6.1 for LC040 Amigas and Macs. If someone has access to any other
m68k machines which can use it, I'd make sets for them, too.

To that end, I've cleaned up a number of issues with the patches on the
-release branch even though they will never get committed there, but it's
all for the better no matter.

Hopefully I'll have time for this soon, as 1.6.1 should be ready ADN.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs