Subject: Re: headless
To: Matthew Bryant <mathias01@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/2003 12:51:21
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Matthew Bryant wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 11:46  PM, setient wrote:
> >
> > > i only have one mac vga adaptor BUT i am also wondering is there a way
> > > play an mp3 on a quadra 650 a lc III or a centris 610 under netbsd?
> >
> > I'm thinking no.... Someone can correct me, but I can't image that one
> > of these 68k machines will have enough horsepower to play mp3s.
>
> That, and the lack of any supported audio. That last seems to be the
> real killer.
>
> Does decoding mp3's really take that much processing power? I can run
> "rsynth" on a Quadra 840AV, with ${AUDIOSERVER} set to another
> machine. I think I'll give mpg123-nas and mpg123-esound a try, to see
> how that works.

With mpg123-nas, playing through an AMD K6-2 500, the 128kb files are
choppy, but the 32kb files play fine. "mpg123-nas" does no better when
invoked directly on the audioserver, so I guess the processor isn't
the bottleneck.

mpg123-esound is whacked. It renames the binary to "mpg123-esound",
but doesn't seem to actually patch it to play over the network.

Frederick