Subject: Re: headless
To: Matthew Bryant <mathias01@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/2003 09:22:35
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Matthew Bryant wrote:

> On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 11:46  PM, setient wrote:
>
> > i only have one mac vga adaptor BUT i am also wondering is there a way
> > play an mp3 on a quadra 650 a lc III or a centris 610 under netbsd?
>
> I'm thinking no.... Someone can correct me, but I can't image that one
> of these 68k machines will have enough horsepower to play mp3s.

That, and the lack of any supported audio. That last seems to be the
real killer.

Does decoding mp3's really take that much processing power? I can run
"rsynth" on a Quadra 840AV, with ${AUDIOSERVER} set to another
machine. I think I'll give mpg123-nas and mpg123-esound a try, to see
how that works.

Frederick