Subject: Re: panic: cnopen....
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/2003 08:02:28
At 6:26 Uhr -0800 20.2.2003, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>> > What is a 'sdeng'? IIcis don't make the chimes of death;
>>
>> They sure do.  =8(
>
>Under what circumstances?

Improperly seated RAMs, for one.

>I don't even think the sounds are in the system
>ROM (AFAIK they didn't appear until the LC III). The ones I've seen either
>make their happy 'bing!' and boot, or black-screen and just sit there.

They are present in the ROM since the introduction of Macintoshes with
optional video adapters, i.e. since the Macintosh II.

For the compact Macs (Macintosh {128,512,Plus,SE,SE/30,Classic}) video
output is available without any software setup so the CPU can put up a sad
Mac easily if necessary. This is different for Nubus video which requires a
lengthy setup before use.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign