Subject: Re: panic: cnopen....
To: Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono <lo_oris@libero.it>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2003 20:44:53
> > Go into the Mini-Shell and ls /dev
>
> full of devices. sd0? are major number 4 and minor number 0~6 or 1~7 i
> don't remember - and ls in the mini-shell does NOT support wildcards :|

AFAIK it won't hurt anything to make devices again, so give it another
spin. This seems to be the least of your problems, to wit:

> > In no uncertain terms, you have a messed up IIci :-P both my IIcis
> > immediately power down if the rear button is pressed.

> 1) the power-on sound is a sdeng (and always have been a sdeng, since i
> own that mac), not a chime, but i don't know what the sdeng means. and also
> when the poweroff works the power-on sound is a sdeng.

What is a 'sdeng'? IIcis don't make the chimes of death; they usually just
don't do anything if they're insulted beyond the point of booting (which
yours is not).

> 2) when i got it it had a half-broken system7.5.3 installed, and did not
> power off. i installed 7.6 and it power-off'ed -_- correctly. then i
> installed a/ux other than system7.6, and it didn't power off again. after
> removing it, it worked.

If you actually observed this (!), I would blast the hard disk, make a
"small" MacOS partition, and install whatever full install you can find
(Apple allows downloads of 7.5.3 for free, though I prefer 7.1 and happen
to be a legal owner). 7.6 is fine too. A/UX installs its own version of
7.0.1, but that shouldn't make the Mac not power down.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Dates on calendar are closer than they appear. -----------------------------