Subject: Re: How to move usr and var folder to a partition?
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2003 15:06:17
--vAlDtAs5WEb1aNYe

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:42:10PM +0100, Mattias Sandstrom wrote:
> Pascal BEZOU wrote:
> >Do I must use mv, cp, cpio, tar or pax to copy or move the content of the
> >usr and var folders to my partitions?
>=20
> pax works great, and probably tar too with some piping magic. mv and cp=
=20
> won't work afaik. i would mount the partitions somewhere first, but i=20
> guess pax might be able to write to the raw device as well...

Maybe, but it's much less painful to actually mount things.

I'd go to single user mode, mount your old partitions read-only,
mount the new partitions somewhere (call it /new), and then:

pax -rw -pe -v /usr /var /new

(This assumes you've got /new/usr and /new/var mounted on the new
partitions. /new's a new directory off of your old / partition.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--vAlDtAs5WEb1aNYe