Subject: Re: IPSec performance
To: Martin van Hensbergen <mhens@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2003 10:43:20
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Martin van Hensbergen wrote:

> Just a thought... what optimizations do you use for your kernel? There
> > have been reports that openssl is much faster on 68040 when compiled
> > with -m68020-40 than the default -m68020, and the kernel code may
> > respond similarly. I would:
>
> Mmm, does IPSec use the openssl library for its encryption routines? I
> thought IPSec implemented its own routines. Anyway, I will try the
> options you suggested.

Yes, but they're fundamentally the same algorithms.

> > 1) Comment out the line that says ``CFLAGS+= -msoft-float'' in
> > Makefile.mac68k.
>
> What does this line do?

Without that, -m68040 does nothing. Together, you tell the compiler
that it has an fpu unit to work with, and what kind. I speculate that
even for integer arithmetic, it may make good use of the extra
registers. We know that the compiler chooses to include floating point
instructions for things that have nothing to do with arithmetic.
That's why the --soft-float method needs the whole world to be built
--soft-float.

It's worth a shot.

Frederick