Subject: Re: IPSec performance
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Martin van Hensbergen <mhens@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2003 17:31:06
Hi!

Just a thought... what optimizations do you use for your kernel? There
> have been reports that openssl is much faster on 68040 when compiled
> with -m68020-40 than the default -m68020, and the kernel code may
> respond similarly. I would:

Mmm, does IPSec use the openssl library for its encryption routines? I
thought IPSec implemented its own routines. Anyway, I will try the
options you suggested.

> 1) Comment out the line that says ``CFLAGS+= -msoft-float'' in
> Makefile.mac68k.

What does this line do?

> 2) Comment out the other CPU's in your kernel config besides ``options
> M68040''. This'll bypass some switch statements in critical sections
> of the code.

I've done that one already :-)

> 3) Add a line that says ``makeoptions     COPTS="-O2 -m68040"'' to
> your kernel config. (Why not try to use all the features of the chip?)

Ok.

> 4) Comment out ``options FPU_EMULATE''; comment out ``options
> KMEM_STATS''; comment out support for file-systems, features, and
> devices you're not going to use. The improvement here is subtle: by
> making the kernel smaller, you improve the chance that consecutively
> performed tasks won't need to pull in a new cache lin

Okay, I already disabled a lot but I'll try some more...

> 5) Reconfigure, "make cleandepends", and so on...

Okay, I'll let you know! Thanks!

-Martin