Subject: Re: NetBSD in Centris 610
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2003 10:40:20
gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 10:11:25PM +1100, Terence Tan wrote:
>
>>I'm also using Bruce ONeel's distribution. It's basically a standard
>>NetBSD distribution except the userland is compiled as -msoft-float (to
>>bypass the fpu). No simulation needed.
>>
>>I'm working off a stock Performa 475, and everything is working
>>swimmingly well. Obviously everything has to be re-built with
>>- -msoft-float, but I've set up pkgsrc... got apache, perl, postfix, and
>>other good things compiled and working. Nary a segmentation fault in
>>sight.

I think this is very cool. Perhaps some thought should be given to the
inclusion of separate FPU-less packages in the standard NetBSD-mac68k
distribution.

This should widen the number of possible machines that can work or at
least allow development of machines that never worked before because of
the lack of an FPU (aren't some PowerBooks in this boat?).

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald